Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Global Action on Aging salutes NY Times for "Older, and Unafraid to Talk About It," (April 22, 2013)

Older, and Unafraid to Talk About It


Aging can be difficult, bringing along new challenges of declining health, loneliness and changes in lifestyles. More and more seniors are using therapists to help them cope with these changes. Here, three seniors speak about beginning to see a therapist later in life.

Oscar Hidalgo for The New York Times

Judita Grosz, 69

Finally Finding Herself
“Therapy has unlocked a lot of things that I never thought would have unfolded for me at this time in my life. I have learned to be more open with myself and others about who I am and what I am, and I've learned that I'm a fabulous person, which I did not know till now.”
Michael Kirby Smith for The New York Times

Marvin Tolkin, 86

Aging Is the Problem
“You can't do the things you used to do. You can't go where you wanted. People look at you differently. What psychiatry does is help you go through the problems and adjust your thinking.”
Oscar Hidalgo for The New York Times

Miriam Zatinsky, 87

“I always said that I would never be old, but I changed my mind when I got here. Because I'm surrounded by people who are old, and I had to come to grips with that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment